Thursday 28 August 2008

Psycho Sets


So I went to the Psycho Buildings exhibition at the weekend. I wasn't really into the artwank explanations of how the life tunnel was like a journey from the womb, or somesuch. However, it was sensational set design, an art directors wet dream. It was my first introduction to Do-Ho Suh, a Korean installation artist. He created this staircase and first floor out of red nylon, complete with nylon lightswitches and balustrades. I just kept thinking, wouldn't it be a splendid marquee, but maybe that's just my perocial mind.

Then I looked up this giant chandelier thing Do-Ho made, found here. Forget 'the fractured nature of narratives, memories and story-telling', this kicks my multi-coloured chandelier in the arse. See my miniscule version here. Anyway, he also made thisgiant Korean doll's house tornadoed into a New York apartment doll's house, Kansas-style.Rachel Whitehead also did a pretty piece of set design/ lighting - a room full of little doll's houses, lit from within. Not art, Rachel, but lovely none the less.

No comments: